Valladolid is a city in Negros Occidental province. Valladolid is bounded on the north by the town of Pulupandan, on the south by the municipality of San Enrique, on the west by the Guimaras Strait and on the east by the city of La Carlota.
Valladolid was named after a Spanish leader’s hometown in Spain When the Spaniards arrived, the original inhabitants, who were Aetas, were forced to move to the mountains. People from neighboring Guimaras Island and the provinces of Iloilo, Capiz, Antique, Aklan, and Cebu also settled in Valladolid, which was their docking area in coming to Negros. The settlers introduced cultivation of sugar in Negros, resulting in economic growth and prosperity. The growth of Valladolid prompted then Gov. Saravia to create another town out of it, which is the present Municipality of Pulupandan.
In 1851, the Recollect Missionaries laid the foundation of the Valladolid Church, said to be the biggest in the province at that time. Considering the power of church authorities as they run the affairs of the government then, the size of its church and convent is proof that Valladolid was among the province’s most progressive pueblos during the Spanish era.
Valladolid town was established in 1860. Significant events in the province during its early years, and upheavals before, during and after the revolutionary period, brought profound changes in the municipality. Through its intrepid sons, Valladolid has contributed its share in the province’s fight for freedom during the latter part of the Spanish and Japanese reigns in Negros. The town is known as the rice granary of the province with 90 percent of its arable land planted to palay. It also produces vegetables, fruits and the diwal or angel wings shell, a seasonal delicacy.
Famous landmarks and tourist attractions include the Our Lady of Guadelupe Church, Balay Dolid (the Valladolid museum), Sunset Boulevard, Century-old Acacia Haven, Relic of an 18th Century Graveyard, Fruit Stand by the HIghway, Highway Food Park, Tabao Fish Terminal food court, and the Tabao Weavers Association Display Center.