Tuburan Town Museum is strategically housed at the 2nd floor of the former municipal building originally an ancestral house of Don Diego Tabotabo, one of the early settlers and administrators of Tuburan. The museum serves as a repository of the Tuburanon heritage representing the Tuburan culture and history over a thousand years unveiling details of its development from pre-history to the present; the LGU and its contributions; the archaeology of Tuburan; the important personages and their significant contributions in Tuburan’s growth; and, the faith and everyday life in the town. One of the exhibits at the Tuburan Town Museum is an 86-year-old copy of The Freeman. The three-page issue featured the revolution of the town as recounted by eyewitness, Emeterio Maxilom. The issue recounts the sacrifices made by the Tuburanons during the revolution and the burning of the town center on April 15, 1898.
Other exhibits included P1.5 million worth of artifacts and ceramics donated by Tuburan councilor Flora Jusay, one of them an ancient bracelet made of corals found in barangay San Juan, Tuburan. She also donated Chinese ceramics as well as necklaces and bracelets made of glass dating back to the Qing Dynasty. Other exhibits included iron tools believed to have been made anywhere between 500 B.C. to 1,000 A.D., bronze bells cast during the last year of the Spanish period in the Philippines and Antique furniture.
The museum also had religious symbols and icons, most of them made in the 18th Century. One of them was the Sta. Rosa de Lima whose head and hands are made of elephant ivory.
A Morse Code telegraphic transmission of the surrender of Gen. Arcadio Maxilom to the Spaniards on April 3, 1898 and other old photographs of him were also on display at the museum.
Maxilom died on August 10, 1924 and his funeral entourage, said to be the longest funeral parade in Cebu’s history, was led by no less than former President Emilio Aguinaldo.
The museum and library is housed in the former municipal government hall, which in turn, used to be the house of Don Fausto Tabotabo which was finished in 1889.