Kinuwartelan in Iriga City

Kinuwartelan Perpetual Help Iriga City Camarines Sur Incarceration Tourist Route Kilometer Spanish Garrison Camp History Location Insurrection Prison Barracks Military Description Date RemnantKinuwartelan is located in Perpetual Help, Iriga City in Camarines Sur Province. Kinuwartelan means ‘place of incarceration’, and is situated along the tourist route, approximately seven kilometers from the city proper. Kinuwartelan was a Spanish garrison camp during the Spanish Period of Philippine history. Many Filipino insurrections were kept here at and did hard labor; hence, the name “Kinuwertelan” meaning place of Incarceration. No trace of the prison barracks can be seen today. Continue reading

Our Lady of Caysasay Church in Taal

Our Lady Caysasay Church Taal Batangas Location Cultural Artifacts Spanish Colonial Period History Construction Image Virgin Augustinian Emblems Communion Rails Priest Schedule Building Wedding Info The Our Lady of Caysasay Church is located in Taal in Batangas Province. This church is located in one of the province’s distinct cultural artifacts from the Spanish colonial period. Among these relics are the 27-centimeter image of the Virgin which was fished out of the waters in 1603. The Augustinian emblems engraved on the communion rails, the ornately carved holy water receptacle, and the few baroque motifs remain on the external frieze. The church has been renovated, but many interesting details of period art can still be appreciated. Continue reading

The Iskong Bantay Watchtower in Atimonan

Iskong Bantay Observatory Tower Atimonan Quezon Watchtower History Construction Moro Pirate Attacks Francisco Tandas Defender Bricks Repair Location Map Observation Bicol Description Spanish Info The Iskong Bantay Observatory Tower is a watchtower located n Atimonan in Quezon Province. The Iskong Bantay Watchtower was built in 1752 as an observation and defense tower to determine weather condition and to warn the town folks of impending moro pirate attacks. Named in memory of Francisco Tandas, popularly known as Iskong Bantay, chief defender of the town in the raid of 1872. Atimonan is located 175 kilometers southeast of Manila. It is traversed by the Maharlika Highway, which extends up to Bicol Region that links the regional and provincial movements to Manila. Continue reading

The Nahulugan Kampana in Lagonoy

Nahulugan Kampana Santa Maria Lagonoy Camarines Sur Belfry Stone Church History Tourist Attraction Location Grassland Grounds Ontengco Family Spanish Structure Construction Layout Description Tour Nahulugan Kampana is located in Santa Maria, Lagonoy in Camarines Sur Province. Nahulugan Kampana has historical significance because it is the belfry of the first stone church in the country and its ruins serves as the living memory of the past. Nahulugan Kampana became an added tourist attraction of the municipality of Lagonoy. It is located about 300 meters from Lagonoy and can be reached thru walking or riding motor vehicles or padyaks. Presently the area is categorized as open and grassland area, but half a portion is utilized for agricultural purposes. The grounds of Nahulugan Kampana is about one hectare in area and is privately owned by the Continue reading

The Malagonlong Bridge in Tayabas

Malagonlong Bridge Tayabas Quezon Location Construction History Height Length River Malagunlong Spanish Period Bricks Architecture Distance Kilometer Layout Road Map Creek Water Width Repair Fishing The Malagonlong Bridge is located in Tayabas in Quezon Province. Sometimes misspelled as Malagunlong, the bridge was constructed during the Spanish colonial period using Spanish and indigenous engineering skills and materials. The Malagonlong Bridge is considered the oldest one in Tayabas. It was constructed around 1585, when the parish church was being built. Continue reading

The Balanga Church Belfry

Balanga Catholic Church Belfry Bataan History Construction Location Japanese Artillery Station Abucay Bombardment Mount Samat World War American Military Site Repair Size Height Distance Description The Balanga Catholic Church Belfry was once used as a Japanese artillery station. The Balanga Belfry is located at the Church of Balanga in Bataan Province. The spiritual ministration of Balanga formerly belonged to Abucay. Balanga became an independent missionary center in 1739. Reverend Benito Rivas, O.P., strengthened this church by fortifying its wall. Rev. Juan Antonio Vicente, O.P, roofed it with galvanized iron and decorated the interior. Rev. Mariano Ma. Minano, O.P., from 1838-1845 constructed the arch of the choir loft and made the baptismal font out of granite from Mariveles. The parochial ministration under the Filipino clergy started with Rev. Mariano Sarili, June 21, 1898. The church was used as the site for Japanese artillery bombardment of Mount Samat where Filipino and American forces gave their last Continue reading

Intramuros in Manila

Intramuros Manila walled City history spaniards construction architecture map layout brick wall fort location tour guide size address spain fortress street colonial house purpose origin repair Intramuros is a walled city located in Manila, and is the most visible remnant of the Spanish domination in the Philippines. Bbuilt by the Spaniards during the 16th century, it features a spacious borough of wide streets, leafy plazas and lovely colonial houses, the old walled city of Intramuros was the centrepiece of Spanish Manila. The Spanish replaced the original wooden fort with stone in 1590, and these walls stand almost as much as they were 400 years ago. Although most of the structures were destroyed during World War II, restoration was done in the 1980’s. The word “Intramuros” means “walled city” in Spanish and for many years, this location has become the silent witness of the Spanish Administration in the Philippines. Within Intramuros reside two of the most prominent churches in the country, the Manila Cathedral and the San Agustin Continue reading

The Guiguinto Train Station in Bulacan

Guiguinto Train Station Bulacan Estacion Historical Landmark Building Spanish Construction History Brick Architecture Katipunero Friar Parish Leocadio Sanchez Location Layout Tour Size Structure Info The Guiguinto Train Station is located in Guiguinto, Bulacan. Built in 1661, the Estacion de Guiguinto, the old train station, is Bulacan‘s most acclaimed historical landmark and heritage site. It was upon this site that the Katipuneros (Filipino guerillas during the Spanish Regime) ambushed a train from Dagupan, killing six friars, including the parish friar of Guiguinto, Fr. Leocadio Sanchez, and a Spanish doctor. The incident inspired Severino Reyes to author the novel “Opera Walang Sugat” which was later made into a movie entitled “Walang Sugat.” Continue reading

Church of Immaculate Concepcion in Cavite

Church Immaculate Concepcion Naic Cavite Diocesan Shrine Neo Gothic Architecture Construction Style Church Dominican Spanish University Santo Tomas War Damage Renovation History Location Schedule The Diocesan Shrine of the Immaculate Concepcion, also known as the Naic Church, is located in the municipality of Naic and is one of the largest churches in Cavite Province. It is the only Neo-Gothic style church in Cavite which was established in 1796 and constructed by the Dominicans. The Naic Church sits in the center of the former Dominican hacienda of San Isidro Labrador which funded the development of the University of Santo Tomas during the Spanish colonial period. Although its altar was totally demolished by the bombing of the town in World War II, the image of Immaculate Concepcion miraculously survived without a scratch and is still venerated by devotees as a strong mediatrix for prayers and petitions Continue reading

Church of Orion in Bataan

Church Orion Bataan San Miguel Arcangel Parish Church Bataan San Vicente Barangay Spiritual Abucay Earthquake Damage Construction History Renovation Repair Schedule Wedding Location History Town The San Miguel Arcangel Parish Church, also simply known as the Church of Orion, is one of the oldest churches in Bataan Province. Located in barangay San Vicente in the municipality of Orion, the church’s spiritual ministration of Orion belonged formerly to Abucay. Orion became an independent missionary center in 1667. Its first minister was Rev. Domingo Perez. The church and the convent were badly damaged by the earthquake of September in 1856, and were repaired in 1854. The Rev. Ulpiano Herrero constructed the beautiful sacristy and marble altars. In this town Cayetano Arellano, eminent Filipino jurist and statesman and first Filipino chief Justice of the Supreme Court was born on March 2, 1847. Francisco Baltazar (Balagtas), author of Florante at Laura, lived in this town from July 22, 1842 to Feb. 20, 1862. A sacristy and a Continue reading