The Bonchon Chicken restaurant in Pasig City is located inside the Robinson’s Metro East shopping mall. Bonchon Chicken is a popular Korean restaurant chain rapidly expanding in the Philippines. Ever since Bonchon opened its doors, diners have been lining up to taste their Korean style crispy and tasty drumsticks and chicken wings. Bonchon’s chicken is described as very crispy but light and not oily, with hot juicy meat and sauced the Bonchon way.
To have crispy chicken, a double-frying technique is employed, in which the first fry removes any unnecessary chicken fat to make it crispier; the subsequent process has added their spicy sauce or Soy garlic for the unique flavoring. Continue reading
The waterway of Bitukang Manok is serpentine like and was a principal part of the Pasig River. The Spaniards named the river as “Rio de Pasig,” however, the people continued to refer to it among themselves as Bitukang Manok. The first sketch of Bitukang Manok or Pasig River became known as the Pariancillo River where its bank flourished as the public market up to 1970’s. Likewise, the Bitukang Manok contributed immensely to the economic prosperity of Pasig since time immemorial, by irrigating its rice plains. “Bitukang manok” in the vernacular means the twisting entrails of a chicken, an apt harbinger of a metaphor for the forked road that the 1896 revolution would decide to take after reaching that fateful, entrail-like river in Pasig. The Bitukang Manok links the Pasig River with the Antipolo River. During the 17th up to the early 20th century, Continue reading
Near the Immaculate Conception Cathedral is Cuartel del Guardia Civil. It is known as the second oldest house in Pasig. This was built in 1881 by Don Apolonio Santiago y Domingo, gobernadorcillo of Pasig. In 1894, it was transformed into the Cuartel del Guardia Civil. During the outbreak of the Philippine Revolution in 1896, suspected Katipuneros were imprisoned, tortured and died here. After the Filipino-American War, it was acquired by Doña Clara Tambunting de Oliveros and in 1922 by En gineer and Mrs. Domingo Guanio.
Bahay na Tisa is the oldest bahay na bato in existence in Pasig. It was built by Don Cecilio Tech y Cabrera in the early 1850s. It has been home to seven generations of the Tech family and has been witness to significant historical events in Pasig and in the country. The direct descendants of Don Cecilio are still in residence. During Martial Law, it was called Freedom House because both factions of the political spectrum can use the house as a venue for their meetings. It was also at one time the unofficial San Jose Barangay Headquarters at one time. Art exhibits were also held here. On the other hand, the Bahay na Tisa is also home to the Santo Nino de Pasion. More so, every Sunday after Easter, the sick people of the town gathered inside the house to receive the Holy Communion and the benediction of the Parish Priest (Viatico Continue reading
The old building of the Gremio de Mestizos was located in one corner of the Plaza Rizal. It became the Municipal Hall in 1959. Today, it no longer exists except in photographs and oil paintings. The Tribunal de Mestizos or the Gremio de Mestizos was established after the Spaniards organized the Chinese population of Pasig in 1741. The tribunal is for those of mixed Spanish or Chinese ancestry. It functioned as a municipal government which performed legislative and judicial functions restricted only to members.
In January 1572, the Augustinians led by Fr. Alonzo de Alvarado sailed down the Pasig River with the encomendero Juan de la Isla. They reached Maybunga on January 17, the feast of San Antonio Abad, placing him as its titular. Maybunga was then an independent community with its own group of lakans and maginoos. It is likely that this community was the settlement established by Dayang Kalangitan and Gat Lontok, centuries before the Spanish arrived. – Three days later, the Spaniards moved on from Maybunga to the center of ancient Pasig at Pinagbuhatan. A distinct feature of the community is the centuries-old chapel which the Spanish missionaries, with the help of the natives of the community, built. In it is enshrined the community’s patron saint, San Antonio Abad. The patron saint is believed to help the residents in many ways, such as in bringing about a good rice harvest, Continue reading
Meralco Building, a.k.a. Lopez Building, is located at Ortigas Avenue in Pasig City, Metro Manila, Philippines. It is a fourteen-storey building designed by Architect Jose Maria Zaragoza and built by Engr. Eduardo A. Santiago. The building houses the offices of major electric enterprise of Manila Electric Company or MERALCO. Located at the basement of the building is the Meralco Theater, that has a 1000 sitting capacity. During the June 16, 1990 earthquake that registered 7.7 on the Richter scale that hit Metro Manila, the building did not suffer any damage. Built before the development of the Ortigas Center in the ‘60s, the Meralco building is an enduring witness to the rise of recent regimes, because of its proximity to the Edsa Shrine, which has become the venue for many a political movement. It houses the main office of the Manila Continue reading
The San Sebastian Parish Church is located in Pinagbuhatan, Pasig City. The Augustinians led by Fr. Alonzo de Alvarado and encomendero Juan de la Isla reached the ancient barrio through the riverside on 20 January 1572. The first Mass was celebrated on the same date honoring the feast of San Sebastian, which they adopted as their patron. This is the area where the Spaniards first established their parish and cabecera. The town was simply called Pasig or “San Sebastian de Pasig.” After about a year in Pasig, de la Isla and the friars apparently realized that the ancient town center was not the ideal site wherein to build permanent edifices of Church and State. It gets flooded during the rainy season thus they moved their center to Malinao – the site of the present Immaculate Conception Cathedral. It was only at this point that the old town center became known as Pinagbuhatan. Continue reading
The Pasig City Museum, formerly known as the Concepcion Mansion, is located at one end of the Plaza Rizal in barangay San Jose. It was built in 1937 by Don Fortunato Concepcion, a successful business tycoon and the former mayor of Pasig (1918-1921). During World War II, the Japanese used it as their headquarters and detention center. On 19 February 1945, the American flag was hoisted atop the tower of this mansion, symbolizing the end of the Japanese occupation of Pasig – the Liberation Day of Pasig.The Concepcion Mansion was acquired by the City of Pasig in 1980 from the heirs of Dr. Jose Concepcion, a son of Don Fortunato. For two decades, it housed the Pasig Library and Museum. In October 2000 the building was renovated; and in 2001, it was fully devoted to museum use. This marked the beginning of the thrust of the city of Pasig in the promotion of its arts, culture, and history. Continue reading
Located in the heart of Manila, this hotel exudes an air of traditional luxury, with finely furnished and equipped rooms that feature rich interiors. The Richmonde Ortigas hotel features a fully equipped business centre, staffed with professional secretarial assistance for the executive’s convenience. After a busy day at the office the hotels massage and fitness services seek to rejuvenate any aching bones or clouded minds. The Richomnde grill serves an array of hearty cuisine to enjoy with friends, families or colleagues before sampling some of the hotels exquisite cocktails at the Exchange Bar.Whatever the reason for your stay, Richmonde Hotel Ortigas will make your stay a good one. Continue reading