Alaminos is undeniably a growing trade, commercial and educational center of Western Pangasinan. Owing to its strategic location and with the presence of the world-famous Hundred Islands National Park, and with its abundant natural resources, the municipality is one of the growth centers in Region I. With such inherent strengths, traders and businessmen continue to come to Alaminos. Investments propelled the economic development of the town.
Alaminos used to be a part of Bolinao which was one of the nine towns in the northernmost part of Zambales. A certain Suyang led a group of Zambals in search for a greener pasture. The group journeyed north from the mountains of Zambales, their native land. Eventually, they came upon a shoreline and decided to settle there. Fishing became their main source of livelihood. They named their settlement after their leader—Suyang.
Suyang (already existing as a barrio of Bolinao as residents have known), located on a large mountain base, was reestablished by Don Gaspar Montoya, Don Nicolas de San Jose, Don Domingo de Guzman, Don Nicolas Purificacion and others. It was a beautiful plain which offered a beautiful panorama surrounded by enchanting forests interposed alternately in its verdant fields. The barrio rose approximately to a height of some 15 or 20 meters above sea level.
In 1735, the people of Barrio Suyang built their church, convent and a tribunal house. They subscribed voluntarily for the acquisition of the image of the Patriarch St. Joseph as patron of the barrio. At first, the settlers considered their new home a paradise. Aside from the bounty that the sea brought them, the place commands a panoramic view of Capurwapurwan and Cabaruyan Islands (Hundred Islands and Anda, respectively).
Unfortunately, after a brief period of time, the settlers found the place not suited for habitation. Typhoons frequented the area, continuous pestilence of their livestock was observed which give them a notion that this was caused by evil spirits. These events made the settlers decide to look for another place to occupy.
It was in 1737 that the transfer of the said barrio took place. The people brought along with them, the image of Patriarch St. Joseph (their patron saint), together with all the furnishings and fixtures of the church, the town hall, private houses and other buildings. The new site was named Casborran (perhaps pertaining to the plants that robustly abound in the area) by the inhabitants.
The barrio was located on a high level site approximately one meter above sealevel. The place has a clayey soil and with no irrigation facilities. The water from the wells was brackish and was unfit for drinking.
In 1744, a delegate of the Superior Government of the Philippines made a visit to Barrio Casboran. The inhabitants therein took the opportunity of presenting a petition to convert the barrio into an independent town. It was, however, in 1747 when the petition was approved converting the same into a town independent from its mother town, Bolinao.