The Guiritsan Falls in Igbaras

Guiritsan Falls Igcabugao Igbaras Iloilo Waterfalls Height Hiking Trail San Remegio Antique Tubungan Miagao Don Benito Acap Southern Perimiter Boundary Water Swimming River Depth Length Camping Tour Guiritsan Falls is located in Igcabugao, in Igbaras, Iloilo Province. From Brgy. Igcabugao proper, you have to climb mountains for almost two hours.  Upon reaching the place, you feel the aura so romantic and so exotic.  Going to the place needs a couple of days. Igbaras is bounded on the north by the Municipality of San Remegio of the province of Antique; east by the Municipality of Tubungan, Iloilo; west by the Municipality of Miag-ao, Iloilo; south by the Municipality of Guimbal, Iloilo. To get to Guiritsan Waterfalls, take a jeepney at the Don Benito Q. Acap Sr. Southern Iloilo Perimeter Boundary Terminal in Barangay Mohon, Oton, Iloilo. Metered taxis are also available at the terminal. Continue reading

Salakayan Festival in Miag-ao

Photo courtesy of rammmpa.blogspot.com

Photo courtesy of rammmpa.blogspot.com

The Salakayan festival of Miagao is held every first week of February. Salakayan, coined from a Hiligaynon term “salakay” or “ to attack,” is a street dance-drama that merges arts, lore and customs of the town. It tells of personal power and daily activities of the people. The main theme depicts the victorious battle waged by the locals against Muslim marauders sometime in 1754. An important historical occasion for the people of Miag-ao, this annual festivity attracts guests to its weeklong activity of Food Fair, Agro-industrial and Trade Fair, Fluvial Parade, Higante contest, Literary Musical contest, Evening Socials and the hablon and patadyong Fashion show. The Gigantes Festival, personifying the prominent persons in Miagao’s history in large well-made mascots, is also a highlight of the Salakayan Festival. Continue reading

Santo Tomas de Villanueva Church in Miag-ao, Iloilo

Santo Tomas de Villanueva Church Miag-ao IloiloBuilt of local yellow-orange sandstone, the large fortress-church was completed in 1797. The church withstood typhoons and earthquakes, but it burned twice: first was during the revolution against Spain in 1898 and the second was during the Philippine-American War a few years later. Continue reading