Bitukang Manok in Pasig

Bitukang Manok in PasigThe waterway of Bitukang Manok is serpentine like and was a principal part of the Pasig River. The Spaniards named the river as “Rio de Pasig,” however, the people continued to refer to it among themselves as Bitukang Manok. The first sketch of Bitukang Manok or Pasig River became known as the Pariancillo River where its bank flourished as the public market up to 1970’s. Likewise, the Bitukang Manok contributed immensely to the economic prosperity of Pasig since time immemorial, by irrigating its rice plains. “Bitukang manok” in the vernacular means the twisting entrails of a chicken, an apt harbinger of a metaphor for the forked road that the 1896 revolution would decide to take after reaching that fateful, entrail-like river in Pasig. The Bitukang Manok links the Pasig River with the Antipolo River. During the 17th up to the early 20th century, Continue reading

Kasalikasan Garden in Taguig

Kasalikasan Garden in TaguigKasalikasan Garden is a garden amphitheater occupying 3,556 square meters in Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City. It serves as an admonition to value nature amidst an urban setting. Coined by Araos, Kasalikasan is a combination of four words: KASALI KA SA KALIKASAN, which means “interacting or being one with nature”

Cuartel del Guardia Civil in Pasig

Cuartel del Guardia Civil in PasigNear the Immaculate Conception Cathedral is Cuartel del Guardia Civil. It is known as the second oldest house in Pasig. This was built in 1881 by Don Apolonio Santiago y Domingo, gobernadorcillo of Pasig. In 1894, it was transformed into the Cuartel del Guardia Civil. During the outbreak of the Philippine Revolution in 1896, suspected Katipuneros were imprisoned, tortured and died here. After the Filipino-American War, it was acquired by Doña Clara Tambunting de Oliveros and in 1922 by En gineer and Mrs. Domingo Guanio.

Simboryo in Taguig

Simboryo TaguigThe Simboryo in Taguig is lying as centerpiece of the Sta. Ana Catholic Cemetery, erected by Filipino labor and supervised by Spanish friars in the year 1700. The dome is made of tiles and the walls of stones. The structure is 12 meters in diameter. It has retained its quaint mysterious appeal despite the minor repairs it has undergone in 1980 and in 1993. The Simboryo is an impressive elevated mortuary chapel reached by a wide, flaring staircase and ringed by an elegant balustrade. Crowning it all is a perfect cupola or dome measuring 12 meters in diameter.  But for all its architectural finesse, the round structure’s history is murky. A Google search will state that it was built sometime in the 1700s, but that would even make it even older than the present stone church of Taguig, which was only started by 1883. The stone retablo inside the chapel might help give a more accurate dating, as it is done in the Continue reading

Mind Museum in Taguig

Mind Museum Taguig ManilaThe Mind Museum is an educational facility aimed at fostering the public understanding of science. It is located on a 1.2 hectare lot in the J. Y. Campos Park in Bonifacio Global City. It is a project of the non-profit Bonifacio Art Foundation, Inc. It is dedicated to providing an extraordinary educational experience that inspires the public understanding of science.  The Mind Museum, located in Taguig in the Philippines, opened in March 2012. A project of the non-profit Bonifacio Art Foundation, the museum aims to “inspire curiosity for the natural world, foster critical thinking and self-discovery, enhance science education with interactive learning, [and] develop the next generation of scientists and innovators.” The Mind Museum is housed in a beautifully designed, LEED-Gold certified building and places a strong emphasis on sustainable practices. Continue reading

Bahay na Tisa in Pasig

Bahay na Tisa Pasig ManilaBahay na Tisa is the oldest bahay na bato in existence in Pasig. It was built by Don Cecilio Tech y Cabrera in the early 1850s. It has been home to seven generations of the Tech family and has been witness to significant historical events in Pasig and in the country. The direct descendants of Don Cecilio are still in residence. During Martial Law, it was called Freedom House because both factions of the political spectrum can use the house as a venue for their meetings. It was also at one time the unofficial San Jose Barangay Headquarters at one time. Art exhibits were also held here. On the other hand, the Bahay na Tisa is also home to the Santo Nino de Pasion. More so, every Sunday after Easter, the sick people of the town gathered inside the house to receive the Holy Communion and the benediction of the Parish Priest (Viatico Continue reading

Libingan ng mga Bayani in Taguig

Libingan ng mga Bayani in Taguig  ManilaThe Libingan ng mga Bayani or the Cemetery of the Heroes is the final resting place of 33,520 Filipinos who laid their lives for the country during the Second World War. Dignitaries and personnel of the Philippine military from privates to generals are also buried here. The Republic Memorial Cemetery at Fort McKinley was established in May 1947 as a fitting tribute to the gallant Filipino men and women who brought honor to the country and fought for the sake of freedom and democracy. On October 27, 1954, the Memorial Cemetery was renamed Libingan Ng Mga Bayani by the late President Ramon Magsaysay. Presidential Proclamation No. 208 was then issued by President Ferdinand E. Marcos on May 28, 1967, to reserve an area of 142 hectares from the Fort Bonifacio Military Reservation. This was intended for National Continue reading

Tribunal de Mestizos in Pasig

Tribunalii de Mestizos in PasigThe old building of the Gremio de Mestizos was located in one corner of the Plaza Rizal. It became the Municipal Hall in 1959. Today, it no longer exists except in photographs and oil paintings. The Tribunal de Mestizos or the Gremio de Mestizos was established after the Spaniards organized the Chinese population of Pasig in 1741. The tribunal is for those of mixed Spanish or Chinese ancestry. It functioned as a municipal government which performed legislative and judicial functions restricted only to members.

San Antonio Abad Church in Pasig

San Antonio Parish Church PasigIn January 1572, the Augustinians led by Fr. Alonzo de Alvarado sailed down the Pasig River with the encomendero Juan de la Isla. They reached Maybunga on January 17, the feast of San Antonio Abad, placing him as its titular. Maybunga was then an independent community with its own group of lakans and maginoos. It is likely that this community was the settlement established by Dayang Kalangitan and Gat Lontok, centuries before the Spanish arrived. – Three days later, the Spaniards moved on from Maybunga to the center of ancient Pasig at Pinagbuhatan. A distinct feature of the community is the centuries-old chapel which the Spanish missionaries, with the help of the natives of the community, built. In it is enshrined the community’s patron saint, San Antonio Abad. The patron saint is believed to help the residents in many ways, such as in bringing about a good rice harvest, Continue reading

Meralco Building in Pasig

Meralco Building Pasig City ManilaMeralco Building, a.k.a. Lopez Building, is located at Ortigas Avenue in Pasig City, Metro Manila, Philippines. It is a fourteen-storey building designed by Architect Jose Maria Zaragoza and built by Engr. Eduardo A. Santiago. The building houses the offices of major electric enterprise of Manila Electric Company or MERALCO. Located at the basement of the building is the Meralco Theater, that has a 1000 sitting capacity. During the June 16, 1990 earthquake that registered 7.7 on the Richter scale that hit Metro Manila, the building did not suffer any damage. Built before the development of the Ortigas Center in the ‘60s, the Meralco building is an enduring witness to the rise of recent regimes, because of its proximity to the Edsa Shrine, which has become the venue for many a political movement. It houses the main office of the Manila Continue reading