The Loran Station in Bagamanoc

Loran Ruins Panay Island Quigaray Bagamanoc Catanduanes Long Range Navigation Station United States Coast Guard Military Installation Buildings Map Layout Water Tanks History Construction Beach Info The Loran Station Catanduanes was the site of a former Long Range Navigation LORAN) station operated by the United States. The remnants of this former military instation is located in Quigaray, Bagamanoc in Catanduanes Province. The American coast guard base, which consisted of seven buildings and two concrete water tanks, was built after World War 2, in the 1950’s as an outpost to monitor movements in the Pacific Ocean. Abandoned in 1972, the camp was then used by local coastguards in 1980 and was again abandoned. Loran Beach is a short walk from the drop off point, reachable by banca 30 to 40 minutes from the shoreline of the town of Bagamanoc. It has white sand that lead to a stairway up a hill where the structures are located. From atop, the marvelous view of the Pacific’s turquoise waters crashing against the shoreline is more than enough Continue reading

Loran Station in Basco Batanes

Loran Station Basco Batanes Batan Island History Construction Coast Guard Military United States Airstrip Aviators Hill Long Range Aid Navigation Naval Facility Building Map Tour Distance Beach The Loran Station is located in Basco, Batan Island in Batanes Province. LORAN is an acronym for Long Range Aid to Navigation). The Loran Station was built in 1953 and was used to house a US coastguard detachment for operated for almost two decades. The Loran Station is located 25 kilometers from Basco. The Batanes Islands lie 375 miles north of Sangley Point* midway between Luzon and Taiwan. The normal morning flight path was north over central Luzon and the return flight normally diverted over the west coast to circumvent the afternoon cumulonimbus build ups. The Loran Station was located on the east side of the main island and the airstrip was on the west side at the capital city of Basco. Basco International Airport, as it was referred to by the Coast Guard aviators who flew in there, was 3000 feet long, unpaved and situated on the side of a mountain Continue reading