Batag Lighthouse is located on Batag Island, in Marubay, Laoang Northern Samar province. Built during the American occuption, the light from this lighthouse marks the northeastern point of Samar Island and leads international ships to the to the entrance of the San Bernardino Strait marked by the San Bernardino Light. One of the most traveled waterways in the archipelago, together with the Capul Island Lighthouse, these stations are invaluable to vessels coming from the Pacific Ocean and entering the country through the San Bernardino Strait on its way to Manila or any other ports of the Philippines.The Batag Lighthouse is 51 kilometers from Catarman, and is accessible Continue reading
Capul Lighthouse is located on Titoog Point, the northern tip of Capul Island, in Northern Samar province. The lighthouse was constructed by the US army corps and engineers. Construction on the lighthouse was started on October 1893 and it was first lit on December 1896 while the station was still partially complete. Work was suspended a month before on November 1896 on the onset of the Philippine Revolution. The Capul Lighthouse serves as the guidepost for traveling vessels. The big guns once mounted there were intended to defend against the Japanese Imperial Navy. Capul Lighthouse is located one hour by boat from Allen, Northern Samar and is 247 kilometers from Tacloban City. Continue reading
Radar Tukon is an abandoned United States weather station located on a hilltop 2.75 kilometers away from Basco on Batan Island. It is currently being used by the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) as the Basco Pagasa (Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration) Station to monitor weather in the Batanes region. This Tukon Radar offers a magnificent 360-degree view of Batan Island, the South China Sea, Mount Iraya, Basco proper, boulder lined cliffs and the Pacific Ocean. Continue reading
The Farola Lighthouse is located in Tagudin, Ilocos Sur province. Farola was the landing site of the four ICM Belgian Missionaries headed by Mother Marie Louise De Meester, the foundress of Saint Augustine’s School. On June 21, 1910, four Belgian Missionaries of the Canonesses of Saint Augustine (now known as the ICM – Immaculati Cordis Mariae) Mother Marie Louise De Meester, foundress of the congregation, Mother Marie Charles, Sr. Marie-Lutgarde and Sr. Marie-Vincent arrived in a steamer and landed at Farola Beach, amidst festal rejoicing of Tagudinians who lined the shore led by then Mayor Apolonio Villanueva, town officials and two CICM Missionaries, Fr. Carlu and Fr. Bamps. Farola (meaning barrio Farola, or a village named Farola) got its name from this lighthouse structure erected by the US Army Continue reading
The Abuyog Lighthouse is the town’s beacon to help guide fisherman out at sea. However, this is not its only attraction. According to a legend, every time there is a storm, Saint Francis Xavier can be spotted here alongside the lighthouse. The legend says that the Patron Saint of Abuyog, St Francis Xavier, begs God to have mercy on Abuyog every time there is a terrible storm. Active; focal plane 23 m (77 ft); white flash every 5 s. 20 m (66 ft) white octagonal cylindrical tower. A photo is at right, and Google has a distant satellite view. Located on the north side of the harbor entrance at Abuyog, a town on the east coast of Leyte province about 100 km (60 mi) south of Tacloban. Site status unknown. ARLHS PHI-065; Admiralty F2454.7; NGA 14932.
Faro de Punta de Malabrigo, is one of the 24 lighthouses erected in the Philippines during the course of the Spanish Colonial period.
The century old lighthouse can be spotted at the top of a cliff in the town of Lobo, Batangas. It is overlooking Verde Island and Mindoro from afar. By private car it is around three and half hours drive to get to see the historical landmark. Continue reading
Faro de Punta Capones, also known as the Capones Island Lighthouse, brings visitors back in time. The romantic lighthouse guides ships entering or leaving the Port of Manila as well as the Military station at Subic Bay. The lighthouse similarly warns navigators of the rocky shores surrounding the island of the Capone’s. The lighthouse emits a series of warning to the shores within a navigational area that is very treacherous for amateur navigators. Thus, the lighthouse functions as the main navigation guide for ships heading towards the China Sea, a very busy and important shipping route. Continue reading
The Guisi Lighthouse was built by the Spanish government in 1894 -1896 as part of the Master Plan for the lighting of the Maritime Coasts of the Philippine Archipelago. The plan was aimed at lighting the Philippine Seas and channels to guide ships in and through the most important sea channels to the ports of Manila, Iloilo, and Cebu. Known as Faro de Punta Luzaran, the lighthouse served as a navigational aid to the fishermen and sailors cruising Panay Gulf. While the original lighthouse is no longer operational a new one has been built by the Philippine Coast Guard. Continue reading