The Loran Station Catanduanes was the site of a former Long Range Navigation LORAN) station operated by the United States. The remnants of this former military instation is located in Quigaray, Bagamanoc in Catanduanes Province. The American coast guard base, which consisted of seven buildings and two concrete water tanks, was built after World War 2, in the 1950’s as an outpost to monitor movements in the Pacific Ocean. Abandoned in 1972, the camp was then used by local coastguards in 1980 and was again abandoned. Loran Beach is a short walk from the drop off point, reachable by banca 30 to 40 minutes from the shoreline of the town of Bagamanoc. It has white sand that lead to a stairway up a hill where the structures are located. From atop, the marvelous view of the Pacific’s turquoise waters crashing against the shoreline is more than enough Continue reading
The Loran Station is located in Basco, Batan Island in Batanes Province. LORAN is an acronym for Long Range Aid to Navigation). The Loran Station was built in 1953 and was used to house a US coastguard detachment for operated for almost two decades. The Loran Station is located 25 kilometers from Basco. The Batanes Islands lie 375 miles north of Sangley Point* midway between Luzon and Taiwan. The normal morning flight path was north over central Luzon and the return flight normally diverted over the west coast to circumvent the afternoon cumulonimbus build ups. The Loran Station was located on the east side of the main island and the airstrip was on the west side at the capital city of Basco. Basco International Airport, as it was referred to by the Coast Guard aviators who flew in there, was 3000 feet long, unpaved and situated on the side of a mountain Continue reading
Navy Base 3149 Base is located in Ngolos, Eastern Samar, about 23 kilometers from Guiuan. Navy Base 3149 was built by US Navy Seabees and was a military base of the American soldiers of WWII. This location was selected because of its vital space, coral, and building conditions to become the enormous base that would eventually hold 32,000 SeaBees and scores of flight, administrative, and other personnel. The 93rd and 61st Seabee Battalions began to arrive on December 1st, 1944 and broke ground on the 6th, despite almost constant rain (averaging .66 inches per day that December). The air strip was constructed over a swamp, requiring a massive transport of fill. Those who said the area could not sustain runways were proven wrong by the intrepid Bees, and on December 18, a Fairchild L-3 Continue reading
Batarangan Airstrip is located in Kibungan, Benguet, and was used by the American forces as their base and a starting point for their air assaults during the World War II in liberating Philippines from the Japanese. The plateau was developed and used by the American missionaries in the mid 1960’s as landing sites for their biplanes. The place provides view of the provinces of La Union and Ilocos Sur. Today, the airstrip is no longer in use, however helicopters can still land.
The Poro Point Freeport Zone is located at Poro Point, San Fernando City, La Union. The Poro Point Freeport Zone was formerly known as the Wallace Air Station. Subsequently, Proclamation No. 216 issued on July 27, 1993, transferred the lands to the BCDA and declared the area as a Special Economic and Freeport Zone. The zone is home to the San Fernando Airport, which recently completed a P550-million peso upgrade into a regional airport of international standards that can accommodate larger aircrafts, such as Boeing 737 and Airbus 320. Also, the 30-hectare San Fernando international seaport can accommodate all types of vehicles such as: cruise ships, roll-on roll-off vessels, motor tankers, barges, cargo vessels, motor tugboats, passenger vessels and fishing boats. Continue reading
Naval Station Sangley Point was a communication and hospital facility of the United States Navy which occupied the northern portion of the Cavite City peninsula and is surrounded by Manila Bay, approximately eight miles southwest of Manila.
The Naval Station Sangley Point was not large, encompassing an area of only 341 acres. Half of which was occupied by its most valuable asset: the 8000 foot runway and its associated air-operations facilities and air-navigational aids. The primary mission of Sangley was to provide maintenance, support, and materials for the regional operations of U.S. Seventh Fleet.
In 1900, during the Philippine – American War, the US 48th Infantry unit led by Capt. Robert Rudd, established the Hill Station in what is today the site of Camp John Hay. This site was part of a pasture land referred to by its local inhabitants, the Ibalois, as Kafagway, which meant ‘a wide open place’. It was owned by a native by the name of Mateo Cariño.
In October 1903, US President Theodore Roosevelt signed a presidential order designating 525 acres (approx. 213 hectares) of the camp site as a military reservation for American Soldiers to rest and recuperate from the heat of the lowlands.