The Leyte Landing Memorial, also known as the General Douglas MacArthur Landing Memorial, is located in Red Beach, Palo on Leyte Island. The monument marks the spot where General Douglas MacArthur landed with the American Liberation Forces in 1944. It is located in Candahug, a barangay of the municipality of Palo in the province of Leyte, 5 kilometers away from the provincial capital of Tacloban City. The memorial consists of larger-than-life bronze statues of the general with other men, including then Philippine president Sergio Osmeña, Jr., standing in a man-made pool. The memorial was erected in tribute to MacArthur’s fulfillment of his promise to return to the Philippines after it was occupied by the Japanese during World War II in the Philippines. The Japanese Occupation of the Philippines ended Continue reading
MacArthur’s Wharf was built by Lieutenant Douglas MacArthur in 1903 while on duty with the US Corps of Engineers. Formerly known as “Buenavista Wharf,” it was near this place where MacArthur fresh from West Point Germany was ambushed by guerillas which barely missed his head and perhaps could have changed the course of history.
The pre-war era saw the developments of Sto. Rosario. A certain engineering brigade of America troops extended hand of channeling roads from Sto. Rosario to sprouting barangays up north-east of Buenavista like Ambulong (Salvacion), Calingao (New Poblacion), and Camp Jossman Headquarter (Supang).
Nature has carved a lonely rock and transformed it into an extraordinary emblem that marks the entry to Dimiao. People call it the MacArthur’s Cap, a rock formation with a shape resembling General Douglas MacArthur. MacArthur’s Cap is a place to unwind after a busy day. Its serenity can be best savored when one watches the sunrise and with the changing of the hues of the southeastern skies, he feels the quiet tenor. MacArthur’s Cap is next to Banban and is located in Province of Bohol, Central Visayas, Philippines.