Don Mariano Marcos Bridge in Abra

Don Mariano Marcos Bridge Abra Tayum Lagangilang Dolores River Water Construction History Collapse Repair Length Height Kalinga National Road Highway Boundary History Location Longest Toll Info The Don Mariano Marcos Bridge is a steel bridge cutting across the mighty Abra River in the municipality of Tayum, Abra. Located along the Abra Kalinga National Road which is the third longest bridge in the country today with a total length of 886.812 linear meters. The Don Mariano Marcos Bridge is strategically located between the boundaries of Tayum, Lagangilang and Dolores at one scenic portion of Abra River. The Don Mariano Marcos bridge itself collapsed in 1989. It took the Philippine Department of PUblic Works and Highways seven years to repair the bridge. Continue reading

Libtec Underground River in Dolores

Libtec Underground River Dolores Abra Cave Entrance Location Size Depth Hiking Stalagmites Pictures History Distance LengthThe Libtec Underground River in Dolores is an enchanting river housed in the Libtec Caves. This underground river is located in Barangay Libtec, Dolores, in Abra Province. From a distance, one can see a cave protruding at the surface of a seemingly empty field. But underneath, the surface a flowing underground river mirrors the jutting stalagmites, giving one both a sense of wonder. Residents in the area claim the place is home to some “mysterious” water creatures.

Adasen

AdasenOne of the nine distinct subgroups of the Tingguians of northwestern Luzon, the Adasens are Isnegs from Apayao. They can be found in Dolores, Lagangilang, Sallapadan, and Tineg in northeastern Abra.

The Adasen dialect and cultural practices reflect the tribe’s origins. Like other Tingguians, they perform religious rituals, songs, and dances in honor of the spirits during important events: birth, childhood, betrothal, marriage, sickness, death, and harvests. Continue reading

Guisi Point Lighthouse in Nueva Valencia

Guisi Lighthouse GuimarasThe Guisi Lighthouse was built by the Spanish government in 1894 -1896 as part of the Master Plan for the lighting of the Maritime Coasts of the Philippine Archipelago. The plan was aimed at lighting the Philippine Seas and channels to guide ships in and through the most important sea channels to the ports of Manila, Iloilo, and Cebu. Known as Faro de Punta Luzaran, the lighthouse served as a navigational aid to the fishermen and sailors cruising Panay Gulf. While the original lighthouse is no longer operational a new one has been built by the Philippine Coast Guard. Continue reading