Kamikaze West Airfield at Clark

Kamikaze West Airfield Clark Pampanga history location runway construction japanese strip americans military air base field size length world war monument distance aircraft battle perimeter field info The Kamikaze West Airfield is located on the grounds of the former Clark Air Base in Pampanga Province. This airfield was constructed by the Japanese in March 1944. By October 1944, it was operating as the West kamikaze air field during World War II. It was here where the first Kamikaze pilots took-off on 21 October 1944 to attack U.S. naval forces east of the Philippines. This airfield was used by the Kamikaze up to 10 January 1945 when they transferred to Taiwan. On 28 January 1945, American liberation forces captured this airfield as well as the whole of Clark Field. Continue reading

Air Force City Aircraft Park in Clark

Air Force City Aircraft Park Clark Pampanga Base United States American Fighter Jets Recto Avenue Location Display Collection Pictures Exhibit Types Helicopter Airplane Cockpit Map History Description The Air Force City Aircraft Park is located inside the old Clark Air Base in Pampanga Province. The park was developed to give local and foreign visitors to Clark an opportunity to witness the various types of aircraft used by the United States Air Force when Clark Air Base was an active American military installation. The aircraft are all American but the United States Air Force letters were painted over with the Philippine Air Force letters.Air Force City Aircraft Park is located in an open field along CM Recto Avenue. A favorite spot for local and foreign visitors. Continue reading

Salakot Arch in Angeles

Salakot Arch in Angeles PampangaSalakot Arch is the most eminent among the landmarks of Angeles City, Pampanga. Building its historical significance way back in 1978, the Philippines, under the dispensation of the former President Ferdinand Marcos, U.S. finally agreed to establish Philippine sovereignty over the U.S. bases and thus the Clark Air Base Command (CABCOM) of the Armed Forces of the Philippines came into being, following the signing of a revised Military Bases Agreement on January 7, 1979. To commemorate this unprecedented and bold event, the government constructed a special structure based upon the design of a salakot or native hat, which soon became a widely recognized symbol of this renewed Filipino spirit.

Clark Freeport Zone

Clark AirportClark Air Base was the largest U.S. Military Base outside mainland USA. It was established by the US Cavalry in 1903 as Fort Stotsenburg. Most of Clark then was open fields and jungle. The base grew up around the old cavalry post’s large parade field (now known as the Parade Grounds). It is said that the US Cavalry horses took a liking to grass growing within said area which is why the Parade Grounds served as the nucleus of development of Fort Stotsenburg. You can still visit the Parade Grounds at Clark today, which once upon a time was used as a polo playing field and concert venue by the US Military. Even the graceful old homes with large verandahs, affectionately called barn houses by the former occupants, are still there to remind us of the grandeur and ease of Fort Stotsenburg life. Continue reading