The Balanga Church Belfry

Balanga Catholic Church Belfry Bataan History Construction Location Japanese Artillery Station Abucay Bombardment Mount Samat World War American Military Site Repair Size Height Distance Description The Balanga Catholic Church Belfry was once used as a Japanese artillery station. The Balanga Belfry is located at the Church of Balanga in Bataan Province. The spiritual ministration of Balanga formerly belonged to Abucay. Balanga became an independent missionary center in 1739. Reverend Benito Rivas, O.P., strengthened this church by fortifying its wall. Rev. Juan Antonio Vicente, O.P, roofed it with galvanized iron and decorated the interior. Rev. Mariano Ma. Minano, O.P., from 1838-1845 constructed the arch of the choir loft and made the baptismal font out of granite from Mariveles. The parochial ministration under the Filipino clergy started with Rev. Mariano Sarili, June 21, 1898. The church was used as the site for Japanese artillery bombardment of Mount Samat where Filipino and American forces gave their last Continue reading

Tabaco Church Belfry

St John Baptist Church Belfry TabacoLike the Duomo is to Milan, the bell tower is a focal point in Tabaco’s landscape. Being visible from almost anywhere in the city, it is constantly used as a point of reference when trying to locate places within Tabaco. Despite the rising heights of modern buildings, the church belfry remains an imposing structure in Tabaco. One can only imagine how much more impressive it was centuries ago, in a bare landscape. The tower is the belfry of the St. John the Baptist Parish Church, or commonly known as Daculang Simbahan (Big Church). Continue reading

Mount Carmel Hill in Balilihan

Photo courtesy of www.cushtravel.com

Photo courtesy of www.cushtravel.com

Atop Mt. Carmel Hill, right in the heart of Balilihan town, is a historical tower of adobe and limestone. These materials were hauled from the town of Baclayon. It was built at the foot of the hill to serve as belfry of the church. The church, however, was burned down during the Philippine revolution. Like a sentry, the tower stands as guard of the whole town. Concrete stairways were built leading to the hill to be more accessible for the people.