The Tacloban City Hall sits atop Cancabato Hill, and at the foot of Kanhuraw Hill in Tacloban City, Leyte. It is the seat of the City Government of Tacloban since June 12, 1952. The city hall building overlooks the panoramic Cancabato Bay, San Pedro Bay, San Juanico Strait, Cataisan Point and Samar Island, and is surrounded by the Philippine-Japan peace memorial markers. There is a landscaped garden with concrete tables and chairs; canteen; function hall; City Tourism Office.
Tacloban City is located in the northeastern part of the Island of Leyte, one of the islands in Eastern Visayas or Region 8. It lays 11 degrees 14’ 38.19” north latitude and 125 degrees 0’ 18.24” East longitude and is situated about 580 kilometers southwest of Manila. Tacloban’s original land area was 10,297.29 hectares. A survey in 1977 by the Bureau of Lands disclosed that a certain portion of the municipality of Babatngon was actually a part of Tacloban City. Barangay Sta. Elena in the northern part of Tacloban City which is adjacent to the Municipality of Babatngon increased the land area by 556 hectares. In 2004, the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR-LMB) disclosed that the total land area of Tacloban, as submitted in Resolution No. 99-001 and reiterated under Circular Letter No. 2001-21, is recorded at 20,172 hectares or 201.72 sq. km. that included the small islands within the territorial bounds of the city.