San Juan City is a historic citiy right in the heart of Metro Manila. It is geographically small but very big in terms of cultural significance, social prominence, economic progress and tourism potentials. San Juan is located at the very core of the metropolis. It only has a land area of 5.94 square kilometers, which accounts for a less than one percent of the total land area of National Capital Region, the urban center of the country. Its size has become an advantage because it is easier to manage and govern. Among the many interesting places in San Juan are the Pinaglabanan Shrine, which marks the 1897 battle of the Philippine Revolution, and the Greenhills Shopping Center, a popular bargain mall for consumer electronics, clothing and other merchandise. The city also has several notable places of worship. Saint John the Baptist Parish, more commonly known as “Pinaglabanan Church”, is where the city’s patron saint, John the Baptist, is enshrined. The Santuario del Cristo Church is the settlement’s oldest existing church, while Mary the Queen Parish in West Greenhills serves the local Filipino-Chinesecommunity, and is a popular venue for weddings.
From 1925-1971, the Iglesia ni Cristo once headquartered in the town at its former Central Office Complex, now known as the Locale of F. Manalo. It features Art-Deco designed ensembles, crafted by National Artist for Architecture Juan Nakpil. The Chapel is the centerpiece of the Complex, which also contains the old Central Office and Pastoral House which was the home of the church’s first Executive Minister, Ka Felix Manalo, along with other Ministers and Evangelical Workers. When Manalo died in 1963, a Mausoleum was constructed on the grounds of the Complex by Architect Carlos Santos-Viola.