The Pasig City Museum, formerly known as the Concepcion Mansion, is located at one end of the Plaza Rizal in barangay San Jose. It was built in 1937 by Don Fortunato Concepcion, a successful business tycoon and the former mayor of Pasig (1918-1921). During World War II, the Japanese used it as their headquarters and detention center. On 19 February 1945, the American flag was hoisted atop the tower of this mansion, symbolizing the end of the Japanese occupation of Pasig – the Liberation Day of Pasig.The Concepcion Mansion was acquired by the City of Pasig in 1980 from the heirs of Dr. Jose Concepcion, a son of Don Fortunato. For two decades, it housed the Pasig Library and Museum. In October 2000 the building was renovated; and in 2001, it was fully devoted to museum use. This marked the beginning of the thrust of the city of Pasig in the promotion of its arts, culture, and history.
In February 2008 the museum had undergone major rehabilitation and restoration works. This picture was shot after its renovation. The picture was already edited to eliminate the wires that cross the building. Then in June 6, 2008, it opened with a world class presentation of the city’s history and heritage. Today, it is one of the best local historical museums housing a Timeline History of Pasig, Comparative Sites and Landmarks Photo Exhibit, Natural Science Hall and some of the original furniture of the mansion among others.Today, the Pasig City Museum is not merely history preserved in stands and display cases but an effective tool of the Local Government of Pasig in the promotion of arts, history and culture as well as tourism for the city.
This museum and art center houses the city’s historical and art treasures. Built in 1937, it was formerly known as the Concepcion Mansion, which was also a Japanese headquarters and detention house during the war. On February 19, 1945, the American flag was raised on the balcony to signal the end of Japanese occupation in Pasig.
In the early 1980s, the mansion was acquired by the city government to accommodate the Pasig City Library and Museum. After its initial renovation in 2001, the museum became its sole occupant, as the Pasig Library moved to another location.
The Museum has only recently undergone a second renovation as part of the administration’s objective of upholding the city’s historical and artistic legacy.