The first Layac Junction War Memorial was a monument erected at the center of the rotunda in Layac, Dinalupihan in 1946. It symbolized the tragedy that befell Bataan and the gallantry of Filipino and American soldiers who restored democracy in the country. It was built by the 38th Infantry Division, of the United States Army, in memory of the defenders of Bataan who fought the Japanese Army in the area between December 1941 to February 1942. The monument also marked the total liberation of Dinalupihan and Bataan, in general, on February 25, 1945. It was especially dedicated to the following military units who participated in the so-called Battle of Zigzag Pass. The units include the 149th Infantry, 151st Infantry, 152nd Infantry, 113rd Engineer Combat Battalion, 38th Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop, 138th Field Artillery Battalion, 139th Artillery Battalion, 38th Field Artillery Battalion, 113th Medical Battalion, and the 38th Division Special Troop as well as the 38th Tank Company of Harrodburg, Kentucky which was involved in the 1942 Dinalupihan-Hermosa Defense Line.