Lanao del Norte is situated in Northern Mindanao, along the northwest and southwest coast of the Mindanao Island. Its boundaries include Iligan Bay on the North, the provinces of Lanao del Sur and Bukidnon to the East, Illana Bay and the Celebes Sea to the South and Southwest, and the province of Zamboanga del Sur and Panguil Bay to the West, with the province of Misamis Occidental on the opposite side of Panguil Bay.
The province is a land bridge that links Western Mindanao to Central and Eastern Mindanao. Pagadian, Ozamis, Tangub, Marawi, and Iligan are the nearby cities within the radius of Lanao del Norte. One can reach Lanao del Norte through Cagayan de Oro or Ozamis airports. The travel time by road is 90mins from Cagayan de Oro and 30 mins from Ozamis (by crossing Panguil Bay via barge).Five of its municipalities (Linamon, Kauswagan, Bacolod, Maigo, and Kolambugan) are within the Iligan-Cagayan Industrial Corridor. Ten of its municipalities are coastal towns blessed with rich fishing grounds: the Illana Bay, Panguil Bay, and Iligan Bay. Twelve municipalities are upland towns blessed with vast agricultural and forestry based crops and products. Muslim communities are generally found in the interior; whereas, Christian communities are found in the coast.
The province prides itself as a major contributor to the overall development of Mindanao. It hosts three of the seven Agus Hydropower Plants, which generates 80% of the Mindanao power grid. There are more than 70,000 hectares of coconut land found in Lanao del Norte, and is the second largest producer of copra in the region. Other major products include rice, fruits, corn, and aquaculture products.
The province of Lanao was divided into Lanao del Norte and Lanao del Sur on July 4, 1959 with the passage of Republic Act 2228. Iligan City once served as the capital of Lanao del Norte until June 24, 1982. The capital of the province was moved to the municipality of Tubod in pursuance to Batas Pambansa 181.