Biak-na-Bato Cave is located in the suburbs of San Miguel de Mayumo on the northern tip of Bulacan. Biak-na-Bato Cave became the refuge of the revolutionary army that fled Cavite and Batangas. In the safety of this riverside fortress forged by nature, General Emilio Aguinaldo established the new headquarters of the revolutionary government and,
thru Pedro A. Paterno for the revolutionaries and Primo de Rivera for the government of Spain, signed the historic Peace Treaty (Pact of Biak na Bato) in November 1897 which stipulated that the Spanish government shall pay P900,000 in monetary restitution to the non-combatant Filipino families who suffered during the Revolution. Spain promised another P800,000 to be given upon the departure of Aguinaldo and his men to a voluntary exile in Hong Kong, and when the Te Deum was sung at the Manila Cathedral upon which a general amnesty would be proclaimed. Today, hanging bridges and staircases connecting rivers and caves make for a pleasurable exploration.