The Balanga Catholic Church Belfry was once used as a Japanese artillery station. The Balanga Belfry is located at the Church of Balanga in Bataan Province. The spiritual ministration of Balanga formerly belonged to Abucay. Balanga became an independent missionary center in 1739. Reverend Benito Rivas, O.P., strengthened this church by fortifying its wall. Rev. Juan Antonio Vicente, O.P, roofed it with galvanized iron and decorated the interior. Rev. Mariano Ma. Minano, O.P., from 1838-1845 constructed the arch of the choir loft and made the baptismal font out of granite from Mariveles. The parochial ministration under the Filipino clergy started with Rev. Mariano Sarili, June 21, 1898. The church was used as the site for Japanese artillery bombardment of Mount Samat where Filipino and American forces gave their last stand during the last world war.